Thursday, December 8, 2011

Why put a film negative emulsion side down in an enlarger?

I was told by my photo instructor to put my film emulsion side down in the negative carrier of the enlarger. I don't understand what difference it makes in image quality.|||In the camera, the film has its emulsion side towards the lens. In other words the emulsion is on the 'front' of the film. So pointing it towards the paper reproduces this relationship. If you put it the other way you'll reverse the picture.





But also I think film is sharper emulsion side down. The image of the emulsion doesn't have to pass through the film.|||That didn't answer the question. Also the second thought is false. The 'beam" going from film to emulsion has the same effect as emulsion to film, only the order in which things happen to the image is changed not the net outcome

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment