Thursday, December 15, 2011

What should I do to become a film maker?

So here is a little background. I am 15 years old and currently a freshman in high school. It is the end of second semester, and I feel like i have gone nowhere in life. I have 3 years left to decided about college and a career. I loved movies and media since i was a kid. I have a huge interest in pursuing film and making it a career of mine. Unfortunately I have no experience. The only experience I have with cameras are with DSR film cameras for photography. Any suggestions on how I should start?|||I was just like you a few years ago. I had always loved movies, got the itch to try my hand at it, and then just did it. I have had a 'regular job' for about 15 years and I have no background in film. So, - with no training - I wrote a script, bought some inexpensive equipment, searched for actors on craigslist, and then spent 2 years filming my movie. Although the movie did not do well, it was a blast! I would not change a thing on the rollercoaster of a time I made doing the film, but it did make me realize that (for me) - a career in film is not my thing.





That said, here is the advice i would have for you:


- 1 - Put a project together - even if it is not perfect. I learned that every city has an underground group that simply love film. However finding out where these people are is hard. So, when you put a project together it is like raising your hand for all to see what you are interested in. You will find that people will come out of the woodwork to find you.





- 2 - Don't buy expensive equipement. At least not until you are sure you love it. You can do amazing things with inexpensive 'best buy' type equipment and a simple editing program.





- 3 - Get a partner. I found that doing a project by yourself can be a full time job. having a partner would have made it a lot less work - and the creative banter is nice.





- 4 - Lastly - Chill out. Don't take this wrong, but your comment about 'I have gone nowhere in life' is odd coming from a 15 year old. You have plenty of time to change careers again and again and again. The important thing is not where you have gotten in life but whether you are enjoying the ride. Have fun, make a movie - or some other project. You have to take on some work (and it is work), to then realize whether you like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment